Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Movie of the week

For this post we have been talking about framing, communication, bias and other things. The movie that came to mind for me to post about is a film by Ben Stein called "Expelled: No intelligence allowed". I feel that this movie is a pretty good representation on how things are framed or potentially biased when dealing with science. The general overview is Ben Stein addressing how and what is taught in America vs. other countries, what is included and excluded in different literature's and for what reasons are some things left out of teachings and why. For myself, I felt the movie was pretty good at just presenting facts but, other people I know feel that there is a slant in his presentation due to his beliefs. I can recognize that there is the possibility that people see bias in the movie because bias or certain "framing" can take place without the writer, performer etc.. even knowing they are doing it. Overall this movie is one that is well done, well presented and generally just a good documentary.

3 comments:

  1. I like this for the topic of framing for this week. One suggestion I would make for formatting is to use justified font when using a picture in the blog. I like the use of the picture because it takes the eyes away from the text and makes it easier to read the blog.

    For the content, I like that you explain the basic background for the movie and how you see it and how other people may see it. It makes me want to see it (with netflix this is easily possible). I will try to do that this week and comment again about how I see the framing from my perspective.

    Perhaps there is a way to link to netflix or something for those with an internet streaming account to watch the movies that you discuss so they can comment on it and give you feedback on your thoughts. Something to look in to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold steel, I appreciate the tips. I have re-adjusted the format so that the text is justified as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, now two of you have recommended I see this, and I'll put it in the queue.

    Keep in mind that not everyone will go and see the film, so you may need to give us a little bit more of a summary so that we know more what the film is about. Your writing is strongest when it is most specific (like with the IJ posts) and less strong when you are writing more generally.

    In any case, you want us to be able to get YOUR point without assuming we've seen what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete