Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog Self Interview

In class tonight, we have been assigned the task of this blog to self evaluate our blogs. Here it goes...
What is the purpose of this blog? Become active in publicizing science communication, also to show and encourage people to see what movies and Hollywood do/show for entertainment and where the boundaries get stretched as far as realistic vs. imagined.
Who is the imagined audience(s) of this blog? The imagined audience for this blog is any and everyone who enjoys movies and media ( most people ) but would like to know more about what they are seeing in the sense of practicality.
Have my posts matched up with my purpose/audience?  What/who might I be overlooking in defining my purpose/audience this way? I feel for the most part my post have matched up. I have posted a few different genres and a range of science trying to incorporate people who like documentaries, movies, commercials etc. I feel I need to continue placing a wide range so that I don't exclude genres or people interest by sticking with one style (i.e syfy or comedy)
What can I do to encourage more reader participation with my blog? I think I can advertise more somehow. Maybe getting other blog posters to follow me or use mine as a link so that more people may have a chance to hear about my blog. The url is pretty long.
How can I expand my audience in this class?  Outside of this class? In the class I can use links through others I follow and have them reference mine. Outside I think I can advertise to friends and family. That could potentially gain followers.
How would I characterize the tone of my blog? Straight forward. I like to present my information with as little bias as possible however I don't like to be vague with the information that I post.
What do I hope to get out of writing this blog? I hope to expand my own horizon of knowledge by finding more ways Hollywood is right and wrong in what they present by doing research and engaging other topics on my own and by potentially following other sites etc.
What would I like others to get out of it? I hope that others enjoy seeing movies and media quotes clips etc.. while realizing seeing and learning about forms of science and what is actual vs. reality as far as science goes in correlation to "a great scene" in a movie etc...
What are the strengths of my blog/my blogging? I feel that the strengths of my blog are  a general approach to showing through links and information how science is used and where it is wrong or right in a setting that most people can relate to (most view/see some form of t.v. or something) By starting of in an entertaining environment, I feel that peoples interest will be sparked because they already understand something about it
What are the weaknesses? Technical information is almost always a weakness when addressing a majority of people. Trying to convey the science so that everyone can understand is a challenge and may result in key information being miss interpreted.
Have I used a deficit model in my writing, or something else?  How would I know? I feel that I have used a deficit model in some of my posts but not all of them. I can tell by some of the feedback I receive and also by how I write. Sometimes I want to drive a certain point across and a "deficit" approach will sometimes promote or emphasize that point. 
How have I characterized (implicitly or explicitly) science, engineering, and/or technology in my blog?  I feel like I how characterized science etc.. in both ways. I try to be explicit about how where and why the content is right or wrong but I am implicit about some facts leaving the readers to read or watch more letting someone else state a point so that all the information is not coming from one source.
How have I characterized myself? I feel that I have interjected a lot in my blogs showing the readers possibly where I stand or why I chose a specific movie or program, what interests I have and I have also given some personal background on myself so the readers know where I am coming from as far as the topic goes and how I feel knowledgeable enough to present the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment