Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Robots Are Here

So many people have seen the movie I Robot that came out in 2004. It is based on the thought that A.I. has become a thing that humans utilize as commonly as cell phones. Pretty far off right.?? Maybe not. Recently, IBM released what they call Watson. Watson was released this year to compete on jeopardy. Watson, while being a computer performed almost without flaw when compared to tries of the past. The last "super computer" to do something like this to my knowledge is the computer that defeated the chess champion of the world which at the time was impressive however can not compare to Watson. recently,  Nova profiled the Watson story:


In this story they show how the concept at first was over looked and the challenge was accepted by IBM engineers. Watson competed on jeopardy and won against the two most successful people ever to be on the show. Not just did Watson win, he landslid-ed them. The most impressive part to me about this is that Watson was not connected to the internet like many suspect, he was solely contained.




Are we at the point of the I Robot movie, not quit but Watson is one step closer and has now revolutionized the thought and process of how to pursue A.I. and where the bar can now be reset.

2 comments:

  1. The discussion of what kind of "threat" Watson poses has been an interesting one, and all over the net. I'd like more detail here about just what kind of a threat he might pose, in your mind.

    Also, your video is covering up your text--preview your post before you publish and you can add in some spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my screen the video covers no text. they are intentionally place inbetween paragraphs by design. Im not sure how it looks on your screen but if the problem presists let me know and I'll see what I can do. Other than that I'm not sure how to fix it due to it not happening on my screen. thanks you for the possible heads up though.

    ReplyDelete